While dog DNA testing has come a long way over the last few years to identify mixed breeds and genetic health risks, not all testing kits are created equal. Orivet’s at-home dog DNA tests are some of the most affordable you can find. But do they give you the accuracy and results you want? Find out in our Orivet DNA test review.
- 350 recognized and developing breeds in their database
- Genetic mutation testing for over 200 canine health conditions
- Health risks classified based on likelihood and impact
- Gives you adult weight prediction
- Results are emailed within 3-4 weeks
- Results not as detailed as Embark and Wisdom Panel
- Some customers said it took a long time to get results
- Some complaints about hard-to-reach customer service
- Breed identification screens for over 350 breeds, types, and varieties of canines, and results include the percentage of each breed that makes up your dog
- Genetic health test screens for over 200 diseases and traits
- GenoPet 5.0 dog DNA test, which combines breed identification and health screening, is the most affordable combination test we’ve reviewed
- 3-generation ancestry tree included (with Geno 5.0 test)
- All test results include a personalized wellness plan
- Orivet has been working with veterinarians and breeders for over 10 years
- Company contributed to the development of standards of genetic testing in animals
- Member and sponsor of the International Partnership for Dogs
- Geno Pet 5.0 Breed and Health Screening:
- Dog DNA Health Screen and Life Plan:
- Mixed-Breed Dog Identification DNA Test and Life Plan:
Orivet is often sold for less than MSRP on Amazon.
How Do I Get A Good Cheek Swab?
If you’re wondering how to collect your dog’s DNA properly, Orivet’s video tutorial below shows you the easy steps to take to get a good cheek swab.
What’s Our Final Verdict?
Orivet is a well-respected company that uses a highly accredited laboratory for their testing. They test for many of the same breeds and genetic health conditions that the top two dog DNA testing companies do — and at less expensive pricing. However, Orivet falls slightly short compared to Embark and Wisdom Panel, largely because of the reported long wait times for results and mixed reviews for their customer support.